If you are in he mood to do something else than just relax on Wasini island, there is a variety of activities and tours on land and at sea.
All tours on land can be done without a guide. A local guide can, however, provide additional insider info on architecture, indigenous flora and fauna, and introduce you to local anecdotes and customs.
- Wasini Village Tour including a visit to the Coral Garden and its boardwalk (more details on this community project can be found under “Wasini Conservation Projects”), the local football club, communal cisterns, mosque, dispensary, primary school and the madrassa. (2 – 3 hrs)
- Dolphin and snorkeling tour to the Kisite Mpunguti Marine National Park – please go to “Wasini Dolphin & Snorkeling Tours” on this website.
- Dhow sailing tour in the vicinity of Wasini Island (from 1 hr and KSH 1,800 pp) with the possibility of snorkeling in Wasini’s Marine Conservation Area (for more details on this community project go to “Community Conservation Projects”) .
- Trekking tour across the island to its southern coast, past palm plantations and the tiny fishermen’s village “Nymamaji”. Great views of the open sea and Mpunguti Islands. (2-3 hrs)
- Trekking tour to the larger fishermen village “Mkwiro” on the east coast of the island (3-4 hrs).
- Dhow sailing tour from Wasini to Vanga near the Tanzanian border (full day tour)
- Boat tour from Wasini to Funzi Island (full day tour)
- Fishing trip near Wasini: bottom-fishing & inshore-trawling – fun for everyone. A fisherman will teach you the ropes. (from KSH 3,200 pp for a 1/2 day tour)
- Deep sea fishing / trophy fishing in the Pemba Channel with experts from a well-renowned fishing club ($ 700 for 6 hours all inclusive).
- Visit of the Slave Cave in Shimoni and an instructive nature walk through the indigenous forest where you also have good chances to spot troops of the endangered Angolan black and white colobus monkey. (1/2 day tour)
- Visit of the 3-Sisters Caves near Tsvaka (1/2 day tour)
Local guide (English/Swahili): ½ day 850 KSH / Full day 1,600 KSH
Local guide (French/German/Italian/Arabic/Dutch/Polish): ½ day 1,300 KSH / Full day 2,500 KSH
Rates Boat Cruises:
depending on number of participants and season – on request.
Fees for Community(¹)/Welfare(²)/Conservation Projects (³) (per adult non-resident):
Coral Garden (¹,³) KSH 300,00
Marine Conservation Area (¹,², ³) KSH 500,00
Shimoni Slave Caves (¹,³) KSH 400,00